Thursday, December 20, 2018

Was 2018 a bad year?


It is almost the end of 2018. Another 12 month have past and we are at that point of looking back at what has been and forward to what will be. I don’t know any adult who isn’t at least a bit reflective at this time of year. In the last few weeks, this reflection and thinking of 2018 has been visible on Facebook. I have seen a larger number of articles and memes than I ever remember there being in past years on why this was such a bad year. That 2018 was the worst year of our lives. Articles trying to explain this through astrology. Or memes about just a few more days and 2019 will surely be better.

Now, I am sure that 2018 was very hard and the worst year for some people (I know some of these people closely and it rings true for them). BUT was it really the worst year for EVERYONE, as social media seems to want me to think? Really, I almost started to believe it was true and to buy in to the idea that we should write off this whole year and try again in 2019. So I needed to step back and look at my own data. Check my own facts. Look at my very own year. Not the one I was being told about.

I decided to compile a list of good things about 2018, big and small, and see what I found. So here is my data in no particular order….

1. We bought our first house. One that our kids had known for 2.5 years as home.
2. Our kids were all able to stay in their schools because we didn’t have to move.
3. We found a new church that fits our family well and our kids love to attend.
4. We went on an 8 day kid free vacation and reconnected.
5. Eloise met all of her developmental milestones.
6. Peter began walking with confidence and running.
7. Peter began to talk in clear sentences.
8. Isaac learned to read.
9. Joel learned to ride a bike.
10. Mark got his role as acting program manager.
11. We spent 11 days on the Oregon Coast!
12. We joined the Y and the kids confidence in swimming has grown a ton.
13. I made some new friends joining the Y.
14. I started my own Facebook page as a writer,
15. I have written consistently enough I feel like I can say I am a writer.
16. Mark and I have grown closer as a couple.
17. We were able to help TWO therapy clinics raise funding to help other families.
18. We have had the money we needed for the expenses we have had.
19. Peter’s development grew exponentially at Stepping Stones.
20. Mark got an unexpected bonus.
21. Peter’s transition to the school district went pretty smoothly.
22. Peter gets special instruction in Braille daily at school and loves it.
23. Isaac found a therapist that he really connected with.
24. Joel continued to love preschool and adores his new teacher almost as much as his prior teacher.
25. Our kids get to go to work with my mom sometimes which gives me some little breaks.
26. I spent a weekend at the Oregon Coast with my mom.
27. My grandma moved to just 5 minutes away from us.
28. My kids are developing personal relationships with their great grandma.
29. Our cars didn’t need any major work even though they are old.
30. We got our backyard fixed up to be more useable.

Ok, so that is just the first 30. I need to get to bed at some point tonight! I am sure, though, that I could continue in to the night.

Given my own data points above, I am going to make my own declaration about 2018. There was good in this year. I know it had its ups and downs but it clearly there have been reasons to celebrate. So I am making my own determination. I won’t let social media tell me that 2018 was the worst year. I know it was good for me and my family and I will look forward to 2019 with anticipation of more good to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment