Thursday, January 28, 2016

I Like You

Someone recently reminded me that the way we speak to our children becomes their inner voice.

So, yeah, no pressure there.

But this week I saw this happen in a good way.

The boys and I were watching Daniel Tiger and this was the catchy tune of the day...

"I like you
I like you
I like you just the way you are"

And I thought what if I sang that to my boys? I tried it right away. Isaac beamed! Joel beamed! Peter...well, he laid there, but I am sure he liked it.

Then I thought what if I sing that when I am frustrated with my boys? I tried it...and I was more calm and they looked happy instead of defeated.

So I kept singing the song...and they started to sing it to each other...and back to me. What a mommy pick me up!

And then I walked past Isaac's room today and heard:
"I like me
I like me
I like me just the way I am"

I has become his inner voice and it was good! I so want my kids to like themselves for exactly who they are. My mommy heart was full!!

And this works on another adults, too. Isaac saw that Grandmommom was sad and asked me to sing her the song to make her feel better. She smiled. It worked.

Who can you lift up this week by reminding them that you like them just the way they are?

No comments:

Post a Comment